Saturday, December 5, 2009

International Volunteer's Day - Volunteering with Noah’s Ark

The International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development (IVD) was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly through Resolution on 17 December 1985. Since then, governments, the UN system and civil society organizations have successfully joined volunteers around the world to celebrate the Day on 5 December. International Volunteer Day (IVD) is a day to commemorate, honour and appreciate the efforts and contributions of volunteers who are such an invaluable resource to society.

Some quotes from our Volunteers on why they do what they do.


"When you help an animal by giving them a second chance to live, the animal will be forever grateful to you for your kindness. And you receive great satisfaction when you see the joy and happiness in the animals eyes." - By Lynda -


“Volunteering for Noah's Ark helps me connect with another life that does not speak our human language. It is through the little gestures from our animal friends (that you can feel from your heart) that drives me to do even more for them. The animals give us unconditional love, can we not do the same? The animals have helped me lead a richer and more meaningful life - a priceless journey indeed!” - By Sharon -


“Volunteering with Noah's Ark has allowed me to experience many things I would never have had to go through or done before. It has not been a bed of roses, I will admit, having to balance work and volunteering, especially when deadlines are pressing at either or both ends. Sacrifices have been made alongside, in exchange for the invaluable lessons that made me grow up and see things from a different perspective. Many have asked me, what do I actually gain? I have learnt, though I can't save the world, but each animal saved is one more life saved. The animals can't speak or say thank you, but seeing them treated from their injuries or freed from the vicious cycle of endless reproduction is rewarding enough for me. As society progresses, I still harbour this hope that mankind can be more educated and benevolent, be it with their own pets or otherwise.” - By Ruth -

“I volunteer for Noah's Ark because the animals they are helping are happy and they do real work.” - By Alicia -


Next, our volunteer Mary has kindly contributed the following article.

I have been looking out for an avenue to volunteer and what prompted me to find out how I can help out at Noah's Ark was the memory of my visits to Noah's Ark when it was still in Singapore and my visit to the current sanctuary in Johor earlier this year.

When you walk into the Noah's Ark sanctuary in Johore, what strikes you first is the vast amount of land that the dogs can run around in. Managing an area so great with 800 dogs, 500 cats, horses and other animals is not an easy feat. However, as I walked around the sanctuary, I cannot help but smile at the happy faces of each and every one of the dogs bouncing around greeting us. Rather then keeping the animals locked up, Noah’s Ark has found a way to let the animals have enough running area to have a sense of safety and freedom at the same time.

From huts for the dogs to sleep in to the pond for them to swim and play in, you see the dogs living in harmony with each other.



Shelter where the dogs play & rest

The cats are not left out as well. They have a nice “chalet” overlooking the pond as well as cubicles that are kept perfectly clean. The cats willingly let you carry them around and comb their fur. Some will even climb on your lap hoping to get some loving.

Cat Paradise overlooking the pond

Seeing so much love and care put into the welfare of these animals prompted me to write into Noah’s Ark. So far, I have helped out at their Dog-a-thon at the West Coast Park and the AVA Road Show at West Coast.

I guess like many others who volunteer, I feel that volunteering is a way of giving back to the world and to bring more meaning to our lives then doing the normal routine of work, friends and home. What I have seen in the past relating to animal abuse to what I am seeing now, the work done by the Noah’s Ark volunteers, rescuing/sheltering puppies and dogs and nursing them back to a healthy state is reason enough to volunteer.

What I do to help is tiny compared to the selfless acts of the more dedicated members of Noah's Ark. In the end, how can you not feel a sense of joy to see such a happy face smiling back at you in gratitude to whatever little you can do to help?



*Stories and photos contributed by Mary Chye


From the bottom of our hearts, we thank all our volunteers for the passion, dedication and commitment to Noah's Ark and all its animals. Without you, the animals would not be this happy! We do hope you will continue to support the work of All God's Creatures, both Great and Small.
If you wish to volunteer with Noah's Ark, please contact us at noahsarkcares@gmail.com. There are many ways you can volunteer (EMAIL US TO FIND OUT!!), and every little bit of help rendered will be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Beneficiary of Animal Merchandise :)

Noah's Ark CARES Supporters