Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dedicated to people in rescue



written by Jeanne Illische

I wasn’t a pup when I came to your home
I’d been dumped on the road, left to roam.
Don’t remember the people except the pain
They left me do to die in the cold and the rain.

You were driving along the highway, it was late at night
When you saw the faintest glimmer of light
You took a chance and turned around
Got out of the van and knelt to the ground

My quivering body felt the gentlest of hands
I knew I need not make any more demands
In your heart, and your home, there will always room
For those who would face certain doom

You healed my body and you healed my heart
You gave me what I needed, a fresh start
When I cried at night, you were always there
With soft words,a kiss and a hug to share.

When I misbehaved and would cower with guilt
You only showered me love …up to the hilt
You loved and cared for me in sickness and in health
Our love for each other was more precious than wealth.

Even when you were tired and had a bad day
You would always come home to me and say
“I missed you baby, I am glad to be back.”
Then you gave me a kiss, a hug to share.

We’d have a nice dinner,then go and out to play
There was so much love I wanted to stay.
But my eyes,they faded and my heart grew weak
As my time grew closer you could not speak.

You held me tight, tears flowing from your eyes
We both had to say our sad good byes
The release from pain we knew must end
No more time on this Earth would we spend
Running in the fields, playing ball
Sitting quietly together at the end of it all.

But our time together is not through
Because I’ll be there waiting for you
At the edge of the Rainbow Bridge I’ll stand
Until I once again see those gentle hands.

I’ll run to you with tail held high
We will never again have to say good bye
My love at death, it does not end
Because you are, indeed, dog’s best friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great poetry. It brought tear to my eyes +_+

Beneficiary of Animal Merchandise :)

Noah's Ark CARES Supporters