Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nikko - Great Dane


My name is Nikko and I am a Harlequinn Great Dane.

I am 6 years old and was imported from Australia. When I was 5 months old, I was given up as my owner discovered that I was deaf possibly caused by inbreeding.

She sent me back to the pet shop where I awaited for my fate to unfold.

A representative from Noah's Ark was informed of my plight and rescued me from euthanasia. She was very kind and housed me in a big house which belonged to a friend of hers. She would commute to and fro daily to take care of me.

At 5pm, she would arrive to take me out for walkies; meals would be at 7pm. Soon, I was looking forward to our daily routine together. I would watch out for her whenever "our" time approaches.

Also, there was something that she did which nobody managed to do with me; i.a. to train a deaf dog.

Within a month, I could respond to sign language to "come", "sit" and "eat". She was so proud of me!! She proved to people that a deaf dog like me can be trained. Deafness has not made me inadequate.

At the same time, I was so proud of her too!! Here is a person who did not belief in taking the easy way out and demonstrated by action that it is possible to train a deaf dog if one puts her heart and mind to it.

And like all fairy tale endings, her friend had to relocate from a landed property to an apartment. I was rehomed to Noah's Ark where I have much more space to roam and many doggie friends to keep me company.

At 5 feet tall, I am quite an imposing sight with my size. Kids often freeze at the sight of me; but I am a gentle giant. When they eventually learned that I am a big baby with good manners, I would be showered with lots of pats.

Before signing off, here's a photo of my big babyself. Do remember to give me a pat when you visit Noah's Ark.



Paws and Licks,
Nikko

No comments:

Beneficiary of Animal Merchandise :)

Noah's Ark CARES Supporters